Wednesday, May 04, 2011

A Hungarian case

Main

I found a very interesting file from rechtspraak.nl, one of the few that is actually readable (many related to human trafficking cases in the north of the Netherlands). I find it especially so interesting because the events happened very recently, in the period 2009-2010. If I’m right, this is the most detailed story I know of about prostitutes in the Netherlands who knew they would work in prostitution and planned to do this but entered a situation of terrible exploitation. And, it is a story from multiple angels: multiple victims, multiple suspects, multiple other people involved. So, it will be difficult to say this is a fake. Except if you believe debt bondage is just fine or merely another form of contract labour.

I have fulfilled my oath once again. A human trafficking story every one (or two) week(s). I hope this story will scare me off for the time being so I won’t visit prostitutes ever again. Especially when one of the prostitutes says this work is very hard for her. I have to realize that, for some women this work is terrible and demeaning. This is what I do to some women (if I visit prostitutes).

If the situation of the prostitutes in this case is representative for all Hungarian prostitutes remains to be seen. But I’m afraid it is. I think the precautionary principle suffices here. I have to realize where the money goes to.

Note by the way that Nieuwstad means a window prostitution street in the city of Groningen. The rooms they talk about are the window brothels.

Here’s the link:
http://www.rechtspraak.nl/ljn.asp?ljn=BO8125

And here a part of the text that I translated from Dutch into English:
The court has upon judging given attention to the following evidence:
-the statement of the suspect, made at court proceedings:
Possibly 4 years ago I already went to the Netherlands.
When I went to the Netherlands my wife was in the Netherlands and I found it pleasant here. I wanted to make money here.
In the Netherlands I first stayed in hotel Friesland.
In the [street] I continuously lived; the rent was 550 Euro per month.
The house was rented by the four girls and I also lived there. They rented and I had to pay. In Hungary I have paid the house and I have agreed that with these persons.
I know [victim 1] also as [victim 1] or [victim 1].
She came to me for help in Hungary. She came with me and two men to the Netherlands and I have been helpful in that. I have lent money to her to pay for the journey.
She has paid groceries once.
My daughter has lent her money sometimes.
In Stuttgart we came with my car. I have dropped her off in the hotel.
I know [victim 2] or [victim 2].

-A minutes at the day of 21 May 2010, recorded as page 528 and further in the file with number 01RET10004 (hereafter defined as police file), including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 1]:
In Hungary, where she ‘rarely’ worked in prostitution, she got to know [suspect]. This person indicated that she could earn more in the Netherlands. When she would go with him she would have to pay the trip back to him and the rent of the room. Nothing more.
In October 2009 was the first short visit to the Netherlands; I have been there for a week then. On 6 December 2009 I was in the Netherlands again. In Groningen, Nieuwstad.
The First time I went with the bus from Hungary to Utrecht and from Utrecht with the train to Groningen.
The second time I came with the pimp from Hungary with the car.
[Suspect] is a Hungarian and lives at the [address] in Groningen. [suspect] was given money from a girl that worked with him and she sent that via Western Union. That girl was [fellow suspect 3], daughter of [suspect].
The ex-wife of [suspect] is named [fellow suspect 2], also known as [fellow suspect 2].
[fellow suspect 3] explained to me how I had to work; she told about amounts of money, duration and clients.
In Groningen she introduced me to the wife of [suspect].
That same evening I already had to work.
(531) I worked every day. I also have paid three hundred Euro once [the court understands: earned] but there were also days that I earned nothing.
(532) [suspect] said that I earned better than the other girls: [involved person 3], daughter [fellow suspect 3] and his wife. His wife is named [fellow suspect 1], we called her [fellow suspect 1].
With the money that I earned I paid the display window. I sent 200 Euro per week to Hungary, to the ex-wife of [suspect], on behalf of my children, who stayed with her.
When [suspect] was in the Netherlands I also had to buy food for him and I also paid for the telephone bills and the drugs that he used. For the drugs approximately 50 Euro per month and the telephone approximately 40 Euro per week.
The best days I earned 600 Euro. On average 300 Euro.
I was afraid of him, because I often saw that he beat his wife.
(533) The display window rent amounts to 535 Euro per week.
According to [suspect] I still owe him 2000 Euro and 93.000 Forint (interpreter: approximately 380 or 400 Euro).
If I wouldn’t pay that off then I would end up badly. If I would go back to Hungary he would take care that my children will end up in a foster home and that I would be viewed as dead. He has threatened me with that.

-A minutes at the day of 22 May 2010, recorded as page 537 and further in the police file, including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 1]:
[Suspect is aggressive] and viewed me as his possession.
On 15 February 2010: We came with the five of us back from Hungary: me, [involved person 3], [suspect], a godson [involved person 5] (his usual name is [involved person 5] and a friend of [suspect]. We went via Stuttgart.
In Stuttgart we had to work because according to [suspect] we could earn so well there: 700 or 800 euro per day. [involved person 3] and I had to work in a sauna bar. We have sat there for two evenings. I have earned nothing, [involved person 3] had two clients.
The next day we drove to Groningen.
Other girls who worked for [suspect] were: [involved person 4], she has come with [suspect] to Groningen to amuse him. After 4 days [involved person 4] also working in prostitution.
Before my period a girl named [victim 2] has also done this work for [suspect].

-A minutes at the day of 25 May 2010, recorded as page 540 and further in the police file, including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 1]:
From Stuttgart we arrived in Groningen on the [street], around 18 or 19 February 2010. After arrival I have rested for three hours and [suspect] brought me from there to the parking garage and I went on foot to the Nieuwstad; I came to work in the room of [fellow suspect 1]. I paid the room rent to [involved person 6].
[involved person] gave orders. I always do what he says.
Daily I had to work from 05.30 hours until 02.00 hours at night, that was on the weekdays. In the weekends we had to work early morning and we could rest from 08.00 until 11.00.
[Involved person 3], [fellow suspect 3], [fellow suspect 1] and later [involved person 4] also worked there. [Involved person 4] was shown the way by [fellow suspect 3].
I have worked in Groningen for a number of periods:
In October 2009 one week.
From 6 December 2009 until 9 or 10 February 2010;
From 18 or 19 February until 21 May 2010.
I haven’t had a single free day. Because of illness I haven’t worked for 4 days. I had stomach ache, menstruation and fever. I then resided shortly in the [street]. [Suspect] said: there is nothing to eat, go get the groceries. I went with the bus to the Nieuwstad and then bought the groceries with [involved person 4]. After this, I was obliged to go back by [suspect] to work because there were many clients in the street and that was reported by [fellow suspect 3] to [suspect].

-A minutes at the day of 28 May 2010, recorded as page 543 and further in the police file, including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 1]:
Shown is a handwritten text (supplement HEP23), concerning a debt certificate.
[involved person 3] has lent money from [fellow suspect 3] and [fellow suspect 1]. My autograph is on it. [Involved person 3] writes that she pays the money back. The credit loan runs from 7 September 2009 until 16 April 2010. As far as I know [involved person 3] had a debt of 950 Euro.
They also did that with me: when I had a debt then without any warning it was suddenly raised. We had to hand over 50 Euro every day to [suspect], it happened that on one day I couldn’t pay this amount, but then the day after I had to pay 250 Euro. [Involved person 3] also paid 50 Euro per day. [Involved person 4] didn’t have to pay.
I am also named [victim 1].
From December 2009 until mid February 2010 [suspect] and his wife [fellow suspect 1] lived in hotel Friesland in Groningen. For that we had to pay 65 Euro per day in rotation. Per day [suspect] received money from three girls, [fellow suspect 3], [fellow suspect 1] and me. This was paid in rotation by one of the three of us per day.
We spent the night always in our working room.
[Suspect] spent the night in the hotel because there was no house yet. We later also had to pay for the house in the [street].
(545) [fellow suspect 3] also worked. She was complaisant with the transferring of money via Western Union to the ex-wife ([fellow suspect 2]) of [suspect]. It was agreed that I would pay 200 Euro per week for taking care of my children by the ex-wife.
The circumstances in the street were bad with respect to clients and thus income. I slept only 2 hours because I didn’t want to get debts.
I put aside money every day, in any case for the window rent and furthermore of course 200 Euro for the children.
When [suspect] wasn’t there I had to pay 20 Euro per day to [fellow suspect 3]. I heard from [suspect] that I had to do this and I didn’t refuse that. During that period I have paid 20 Euro to [fellow suspect 3] every day for approximately 2 weeks. In started on the day that [suspect] departed to Hungary, mid-January until I departed 2 weeks later.

-A minutes at the day of 29 June 2010, recorded as page 708 and further in the police file, including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 2]:
I have been brought by a man named [suspect] from Hungary to the Netherlands and he has taken a lot of money from me under threat.
I come from a poor family. I entered into a relationship with somebody ([relationship]); this person got in jail. I was 17 and had financial problems.
[Suspect] told that he could help me with earning money. He wanted to transfer my child (son born on 9-11-07).
[Suspect] kept on talking to me and wanted to arrange my son’s custody.
When I was 18 I was taken by [suspect] to the Netherlands. This was two weeks after my 18nth birthday.
I arrived in Groningen, in the Nieuwstad. I was supposed to work in prostitution for myself. [Suspect] automatically asked money from me and the other girls. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I had to hand over 50 Euro. I handed it over to [suspect] or to [fellow suspect 3] or a [fellow suspect 1]. [Fellow suspect 3] is his daughter. [Fellow suspect 1] his wife.
[Fellow suspect 2] is the first wife of [suspect] and she is family of [fellow suspect 1].
On Thursday, Friday and Saturday I had to hand over 100 euro per day. [Suspect], [fellow suspect 3] or [fellow suspect 1] took the money from me. After approximately a month the amounts were raised. 50 became 100 and 100 became 150. [Suspect] is aggressive and on drugs.
He blackmailed me with my child. He threatened to snatch my son from my mother.
[Suspect] let me use drugs, cocaine. After one month working I didn’t want to any longer. He obliged me to use drugs; he said: You must snort it or else you will see what’s going to happen. Furthermore I had to have sex with him, in his house and one time in the display window. I didn’t want that.
Because of financial necessity I went to work in prostitution. The agreement with [suspect] was that he would help me with pointing out the place. The money I would earn for myself. [Fellow suspect 1] helped me with working as a prostitute, with the prices and terms.
I have worked for more than 8 months for [suspect]. Not a single penny went to my mother.
The financial situation of my family in Hungary is tragical. My mother took care of the income; she was day labourer.
I was four months pregnant of my boyfriend [relation] when I got to know [suspect]. [Suspect] also wanted per se that [fellow suspect 2] would get the custody of my son. I didn’t want that. [Suspect] approved with that, but later in the Netherlands he revoked on that. I more or less agreed with him that he would pay for the workplace but that I could send the earnings to my mother.
I knew that I would go to the Netherlands for prostitution work.

-A minutes at the day of 30 June 2010, recorded as page 715 and further in the police file, including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 2]:
We have driven with the car of [suspect] to the Netherlands, in one go without sleeping over.
I was obliged by him to arrange a health insurance myself in Hungary. I have done that.
[Suspect] has convinced my mother that I was supposed to do cleaning work in the Netherlands.
[Fellow suspect 2] has said that I must go with him and she has explained to me what I had to do in the Netherlands.
They impressed upon me that I would get a beautiful life and make a lot of money. [Fellow suspect 1] would explain the rest to me in the Netherlands.
I know [fellow suspect 3] as the daughter of [suspect]; I had also seen her already in Hungary. [Suspect] then told me she worked as a whore.
In Hungary no amounts of earnings were named. They did indicate that I could earn well from 1000 to 2000 Euro per week. I have believed that.
Work clothes would be arranged by [suspect].
I have come to the Netherlands in 2008, two weeks after my 18nth birthday.
I came together with [involved person 7]. I had no money myself at that moment.
We arrived at midnight in Groningen. In the house were talks between [suspect], [fellow suspect 3] and [fellow suspect 1]. After this, [suspect] brought us, [involved person 7], [fellow suspect 1], [fellow suspect 3] and myself, in the car to the cinema in Groningen. There he dropped us off. [Fellow suspect 1] has shown us the street (Nieuwstad). I have slept in the display window. After we had slept we have been to window landlord [involved person 6] to rent a display window.
We have rented a room for a week. [Fellow suspect 3] has given me 535 Euro. [Fellow suspect 1] gave 535 Euro to [involved person 7]. This was for the window rent. I sat next to [fellow suspect 1] in the display window. I had earned the money in 2 days.
I have cried because I had to do this work. Mentally it was burdensome for me.
[Fellow suspect 1] lent me the condoms. I had to go to the doctor once per month.
The prices have been put on a little paper by [fellow suspect 1] and [fellow suspect 3].
[Suspect] threatened me with my child in case I would run off.
Ultimately I have worked 8 months for him. I had to work for him because he threatened me. Namely I had said to him that I would go to the consulate. So he threatened me with my child and took my i.d.-card from me.
[Suspect] bought clothes for me of my money. That was allowed only once per month and at most 50 Euro. I was only allowed to go with [fellow suspect 1] or [fellow suspect 3] to the shop. The rent for the display window I paid myself.
The house that [suspect] and [fellow suspect 1] rented, [Involved person 7] and I had to pay.
I had to work seven days per week. I opened the display window at morning at 6 o’clock until 18:00 hours. From 21.00 until 02.00 hours I then went working again. This repeated itself every day. [Suspect] decided the working hours.
I was not allowed to go anywhere. I was allowed to go to the internet café but then [fellow suspect 1] or [fellow suspect 3] had to be there. Most of the time I went internetting in the house of [suspect].
[Suspect] was actually the one who decided everything. [Fellow suspect 1] and [fellow suspect 3] supervised me acting upon the instructions of [suspect]. When I did things just like he indicated then [fellow suspect 3] phoned with her father or [fellow suspect 1] phoned with him and passed this on to him.
I then got the telephone from [fellow suspect 1] or [fellow suspect 3] and then got to hear from [suspect] that I wasn’t there to rest but to work. He then screamed through the telephone and threatened that if I wanted to see my son sooner I had to do everything like he said to me. He sounded nervous during these moments.

-A minutes at the day of 6 July 2010, recorded as page 723 and further in the police file, including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 2]:
He always threatened me with my son. He also said I was his. I was in a strange country and didn’t know the language. I only knew [suspect], [fellow suspect 1] and [fellow suspect 3]. I wasn’t allowed to phone with my parents. He also wanted that I would use drugs. I also had sex with him. I wasn’t myself and couldn’t stand on my own legs. I think that I have used drugs: cocaine, it was a white stripe.
[Suspect] told me what I had to do with the men. He put cocaine on the table and placed lines. I had to sniff it up.
Approximately a week later I saw in his house what he had in store: shackles, a weapon and large vibrators. [Fellow suspect 1] said: he does it with every girl with the large vibrators.
When [suspect] noticed that I was done with him, he began to threaten. I said that I didn’t want to work anymore. He said: either your child or you will notice what the consequences are. I then said that I would stay then. Around 30 April I have earned another 4000 Euro. I said to [suspect]: is it enough then, am I free then? [Suspect] said: No.
At first I didn’t dare to lodge a complaint against him, because I was afraid that he would possibly do something against my family.

-A minutes at the day of 13 July 2010, recorded as page 731 and further in the police file, including a testimony of the woman who has lodged a complaint [victim 2]:
[Suspect] gave the order to [fellow suspect 1] and [fellow suspect 3] to take my money. They also had to hand over their earned money.
I also had to work during menstruation; little sponges were for sale for that.
If you earned 500 Euro on average you were a good girl. You had to earn 300 Euro per day at least. I earned daily for [suspect]. 150 Euro I did certainly earn per day, but I certainly earned more. I was popular with the clients because I was young. I wasn’t allowed to keep something. I also couldn’t send something to my mother.
[Suspect] one time went home in Hungary and I have given him 400 Euro for my mother. He hasn’t given it to my mother but bought a kart for his son of it.

-A minutes at the day of 21 May 2010, recorded as page 514 and further in the police file, including a testimony of [fellow suspect 3]:
[Victim 1] I got to know when she knocked on the door at my parents with two children at the door. I have sent money to Hungary so she would come to the Netherlands. We had agreed that [victim 1] would pay the money back to me what I lent to her.
She hasn’t earned anything last three or four weeks. She had lent money from me to send to her children and to pay the rent of the display window. [Victim 1] owes me approximately 2000 Euro. I wanted her to write me a debt certificate.

-A minutes at the day of 25 May 2010, recorded as page 687 and further in the police file, including a testimony of [involved person 1]:
I live for 2 years in the Netherlands and work on the Nieuwstad as a prostitute.
I know [victim 1]. She also worked there as a prostitute. She told that she belonged to [suspect] and that he didn’t want that she talked to other girls.
Of the 24 hours she worked 20 hours. Every now and then she secretly came to my room. She complained about her children and that [suspect] was a guardian of them. She couldn’t run off because [suspect] was a guardian of the children.
I know of one time that [victim 1] was in my room and the daughter of [suspect], [fellow suspect 3], also. I saw that [victim 1] started to tremble and went to her own room. Then she wasn’t allowed to come to me for three days. [Fellow suspect 3] didn’t come into the room but she gestured in front of the window that [victim 1] must go the her room. After this, [fellow suspect 3] phoned her father.
Every time that [fellow suspect 3] saw that [victim 1] talked with somebody she phoned her father. [Fellow suspect 1] also did this.

-A minutes at the day of 3 June 2010, recorded as page 694 and further in the police file, including a testimony of [involved person 1]:
[Fellow suspect 3] works as prostitute on the Nieuwstad.
When I arrived in Groningen [victim 2] just left. She worked for [suspect] and has fled for him. [Involved person 2] has helped her. [Victim 2] had fled once for [suspect] and was with [involved person 2] in my room. Then [fellow suspect 1] invaded the room and she said that she would beat up [victim 2]. [Suspect] then was constantly present on the telephone. She was obliged by him to come home.
[Suspect] is always waiting at home until the girls bring him money, as far as I know.

-A minutes at the day of 25 May 2010, recorded as page 687 and further in the police file, including a testimony of [involved person 2]:
[Victim 2] phoned me. She said: “Please [involved person 2], come to the Netherlands. I can’t work any longer. [Suspect] takes all my money.” I said that she had to go to the police but she didn’t dare to do that. Then after two weeks I went to the Netherlands.
I believe the passport or the ID-card of [victim 2] was at [suspect]. That’s why I have talked with the wife of [suspect]. She’s named [fellow suspect 1] or [fellow suspect 1]. I asked if she wanted to give back the passport of [victim 2]. [Suspect] then became angry. He said that girl is mine and she’s going nowhere. He said to me: I look after [victim 2]’s children.
I believe [Victim 2] has lived approximately 4 or 5 months with us and she then worked for herself. So I think from July 2008 until approximately November/December 2008.
We went for example once to the Grote Markt and then [suspect] began to talk to [victim 2]. He then said: “I’m going to fuck your mother, I will get you in Hungary, my time will come.”
[Suspect] has had a relationship with all girls and he just battered them all.

-A minutes at the day of 21 May 2010, recorded as page 555 and further in the police file, including a testimony of [involved person 3]:
I went at the end of February 2010 with [suspect] and [victim 1] in the car of [suspect] again to Groningen and went to work again in prostitution.
The other women who paid to [suspect] per day were his wife, his daughter [fellow suspect 3] and [victim 1]. I believe they paid 50 Euro per day.

-A minutes at the day of 26 May 2010, recorded as page 557 and further in the police file, including a testimony of [involved person 3]:
We departed by car from Hungary: [victim 1], [suspect] and I. En route we have worked for two days in prostitution in Stuttgart. I had two clients and have earned 100 Euro.

-A minutes of the hearing of the witness at the examining judge at the day of 19 October 2010, including the testimony of [victim 1]:
[Suspect] has a house near the shelter where I was. He often came there. I took a walk there with my children and he asked if I worked as a prostitute and that I could go abroad to earn a lot of money. I said that I wanted to do it for two months because financially I was in a wretched state. [Suspect] has spoken with my social worker of Youth en Family and that person told that I only was allowed to go abroad if another person got the custody over my children. [Suspect] has then phoned the Advisory Board for Child Welfare and the custody over my children then went to [fellow suspect 2], the ex-wife of [suspect]. I agreed with it because it only was for 2 months.
Because I went to the Netherlands to work as a prostitute [suspect] has given money to [fellow suspect 2] so she could buy a bus ticket for me. I then had my first debt to [suspect]. I went with the bus to the Netherlands. [Fellow suspect 3] picked me up in Utrecht and brought me to Groningen. She arranged a display window for me.
I wanted to go to Hungary by Christmas, but then [suspect] came with threats about the children. He said that if I didn’t earn more I was never allowed to go back to Hungary and if I didn’t show the right posture I would end up badly. If I didn’t do what [suspect] exactly said then the subject immediately was that the children would go to a boarding school.
I paid 200 Euro per month for the children. I paid this every Friday to [fellow suspect 1] or [fellow suspect 3], who transferred it to Hungary via Western Union.

-A minutes of the hearing of the witness at the examining judge at the day of 25 October 2010, including the testimony of [victim 2]:
[Suspect] gave orders to [fellow suspect 1] and [fellow suspect 3].
In 2008 I was afraid of [suspect] because he said if I wouldn’t work for him he would steal my child from my mother.
(I hope one of these days blogger.com fixes the awful blockquote bug where automatically a space or enter is added after every blockquote every time you edit the text. There seems to be a new bug. An enter is added after EVERY enter!!!! Although you don't see it in published blog itself)

2 comments:

Cliente X said...

Oh, so u won't visit prostitutes never more...

...again?

Hehehe, it's just a matter of time.

Donkey said...

Yes, that's the plan. I know how to avoid the suspected sex trafficked women but somehow it doesn't work out. If fall for young women, and I find the Eastern European women especially attractive, and these are often the trafficked women.

So it's better to stop. But I said that 5 times earlier.