Friday, July 30, 2010

Pain

Main

Lately Lately I wondered how prostitutes deal with pain, because many women in general experience pain during sex. I realized that I knew the answer all along! I just have to dig in my memory better. And here it is:

I never thought this would happen to me - Prostitution and traffic in Latin American women in The Netherlands (Fanny Polanía Molina and Marie-Louise Janssen, 1998). Thérèse van der Helm is interviewed in this book. She worked for the Area Health Authority (GG&GD) in Amsterdam as an assistent responsible for the prevention of venereal diseases among prostitutes. I quote her (page 69):

As to the health situation, that's satisfactory, so the women can go on with their work as usual. However, they often complain about pains. When asked how exactly they have sex, they reply that they do it in ten minutes for 12.50 dollars. Those are very fast screws indeed: legs upright in the air, while the customer is banging about, finished in ten minutes. Anybody would be affected by stomach pain, undoubtedly. They ought to do it with their legs down, being the woman, the one who determines the rhythm. Because as soon as the woman feels pain in her stomach, she thinks she has contracted a venereal disease and starts taking antibiotics, that are for sale everywhere. But that's not necessary; it's just because they are doing it so roughly. That's why we say to them: legs down when you are having sex! They all complain of pains in the abdomen, without any certainty that it's to do with an infection, but simply backache. But apart from that, they're healthy enough to keep on doing their job.

Okay, according to van der Helm all prostitutes have pain in the abdomen. So that's the answer! They all have pain.

Now I have to reconsider my decision of visiting prostitutes again. I was too focused on human trafficking. In my opinion it is not good to hurt a person. And having sex with a prostitute will almost certainly hurt the prostitute. Perhaps the Golden Rule should be applied here: "one should not treat others in ways one would not like to be treated". So, I don't want others to inflict pain on me, so I shouldn't do that to others.

That means not visiting prostitutes.

Visiting prostitutes is BAD.

I am a really bad man. :'(

I will not visit prostitutes again.

(I have to notice that what Therésè van der Helm says about that nearly all prostitutes complain about pain only refers to windows prostitutes who at that time received a large number of clients per day. Nowadays this number is much lower, and above all, for prostitutes in clubs the number of clients per day is more like 1-3. Perhaps pain for these women is less of a problem. But, better be safe then sorry. For now, I don't visit prostitutes anymore.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"(I have to notice that what Therésè van der Helm says about that nearly all prostitutes complain about pain only refers to windows prostitutes who at that time received a large number of clients per day. Nowadays this number is much lower, and above all, for prostitutes in clubs the number of clients per day is more like 1-3. Perhaps pain for these women is less of a problem. But, better be safe then sorry. For now, I don't visit prostitutes anymore.)"

Look, as a female I really don't think the number of guys a night is the primary concern for pain. A guy is not going to stimulate a prostitute when he pays for being satisfied; she will likely not have the time to stimulate herself, or who knows whether stimulation would make her feel like having sex in such a situation (meaning stimulation may not "work"). Bottom line: For sex where mutual arousal is not a concern, you can be certain the woman will feel pain. Even if it is one client per evening.

I fully agree prostitutes most likely feel pain, and I believe the only ethically acceptable approach is one should never ever inflict pain on others, especially not intentionally and especially not to derive pleasure from it.

While I think this is an attitude that should be taken for granted, I realize not all men are sensitive to such questions. So - sad as it is for women - I believe a man that has come to this mindset should be applauded..

Donkey said...

This is a good reminder! However, I actually did visit prostitutes after this post. Lately, I don't manage to penetrate them. I already have an orgasm before this.

But it is a good reminder. Better be safe than sorry. I actually don't understand why I visit prostitutes in the first place. Mostly I don't like it at all. Some nice exceptions though.

Okay, .... they feel pain. Good point.