Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fair use

Back to index

I’ve found a possible solution for the copyright-problem:

FAIR USE!!!!

I’ve informed myself about blogs and copyrights cause so many bloggers copy and paste news-articles onto their blogs. I'm very scared now because of the attack by Ruth Hopkins (I copied and translated two of her articles on my blog, she didn't like that at all and asked me to remove them) .

It seems that copying is okay unless you don’t copy the ‘whole’ article. But you can copy snippets of it and add your comment to it. That’s called “fair use”. That's what I'll do.

I especially like these two tips I once found somewhere on a blog but which have now disappeared:
2. Don't just copy someone else's stuff, even if it is funny, cool or interesting, without having some new point or comment or criticism of your own. Copying because you like something is not fair use. Copying because you want to comment or engage with something is more likely to be fair.

4. Acknowledge your sources if you do copy, and link to them. Some countries have things called 'moral rights' - rights to be attributed as an author of a work. Also, in some countries, if you are relying on a 'fair use' type defense, you will need to acknowledge the source, even if your purpose is criticism/review or reporting news. It is also more likely your act will be considered 'fair' if you identify your source.

Anyway, I saw on one site it says this:
This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of political, human rights, economic, democracy, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research, educational, or satirical purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

I LIKE IT!!!!!

Back to index

No comments: